Looking for something make with the kids ? These shower steamers are easy and are great way of introducing the benefits of aromatherapy to your shower.
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1 cup citric acid
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3-5 tbsp water
- Essential oils - 120 drops
- Food colouring - 1 drop ) if you want coloured steamers
- Silicone baking/soap moulds or ice cubes or small cup cake moulds. ( need to be silicone so it is easy to remover the steamers)
- Fork/Whisk- Mixing Bowl - Spoon
1. Place the baking soda, citric acid, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Use large whisk or fork to remove lumps and mix well.
2. Add the water SLOWLY, 1 tbsp at a time. You have to be very careful because if you add too much water too soon, the whole thing will fizz up. Just be patient and keep testing by grabbing a handful of the mixture and squeezing it in your hand. As soon as it feels like damp sand (that would be perfect for making a sandcastle), you've added enough water.
3. Add the essential oils, and after every few drops, use your fork to mash them into the mixture.
4. Place about 2 tbsp of mixture into each mould and use the back of a spoon to press down and smooth.
5. Leave overnight.
6. Carefully remove from moulds and package.
7. To Store: They will store for up to 6 months in a cool, dark cabinet.
To Use: Take into the shower with you, wet a little under the stream of water to get it going.
Allow the heat and steam in your shower to release the oils and vapor into the air.
Place the steamer at the far end of the shower stall. You want it to last, and if it's under the constant stream of water it will disappear too quickly.
Caution: Because you are bringing oils into the shower, make sure you use a shower mat, and wipe out the shower floor when you are done.
Recipe ideas - but you can use your favourite oils.
Cold/Flu - 80 drops of eucalyptus essential oil & 40 drops peppermint essential oil - will help clear your head .
Relaxing- I recommend: 80 drops of lavender essential oil & 40 drops of geranium essential oil
Inspiring – best for morning showers or when you need a “Pick me up” . Bergamot, Lemon, Sweet Orange essential oils which will help invigorate and wake you up.
Each steamer should last a full, long shower. They can be easily smashed or broken in 2 if your mould is a bit big.
DO NOT USE AS A BATH BOMB: because of the high concentration of essential oils, these shower steamers are not appropriate for the bath tub.
You can pack the steamers into a gift bag or mason jar add a Ribbon and you have made a great gift.